The Men’s Grooming World
Have you heard of the Gatsby Pomade? Let’s take a step back to see how much the hairstyling industry has grown. Within the last few decades, the men’s grooming industry has grown considerably. Today, it’s a billion-dollar industry. Experts forecast that by 2024, the industry will experience a CAGR of 5.5% and reach $29.14 billion. Currently, the fastest-growing market is in Asia.
Hairstyling products that appeal to millennial male consumers have been trending upwards. Specifically, pomade and hair wax for men that cater to their body image. In cities around the world, classic, modern and hybrid barbershops are coming up. With the mushrooming of these establishments, there is a need for high-quality hair products for men.
Get exclusive useful guides and deals
Subscribe to our newsletter
Homebrewers are also getting more recognition. Why? Their hair styling products are unique and niche for certain styling or hair tyes. In addition, the ingredients used are mostly healthier and cruelty-free, some even go to the extent as a vegan product. But on top of it, their branding showcases each of their products is carefully made with a specific creative theme. Some of the more popular homebrewer brands are Arcadian, Lockhart’s, Flagship Pomade, and more.
UO Select Store
Carefully reviewed and curated men’s grooming brands for your personal care routine
One of the most well-known hair styling products for men is Gatsby. This brand from Japan has caught up with the “pomade” trend. Today, the company behind Gatsby offers top quality products suitable for long, medium-long and shorter hairstyles for men. Want to know more about Gatsby and the products they offer?
Founded in Japan in 1978, the Gatsby brand is one of the best hair styling products for men. Produced by Mandom Corporation, the Gatsby Brand gets its name from “The Great Gatsby.” Written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1925, it follows a cast of characters living in East and West Egg on Long Island.
The President of Mandom, Mr. Hikoji Nishimura read The Great Gatsby. After sympathizing with Gatsby’s life, he created the Gatsby line of products. Today, the brand has grown to include the following products:
- Face care
- Body care
- Hair Dye
The brand has also grown with trends and continues to maintain its mission: “to support men around the world achieve their aspirations.”
Not only that. The company listens to its customers and changes its products according to their tastes and preferences. In fact, they want men to find their own unique style and be Kakkoii. Currently, they offer high-quality products that are paraben-free.
Top 5 Best Gatsby Wax and Gatsby Pomade
The Gatsby Pomade is one of the best-selling products. It keeps your favourite hairstyle in place and provides a nice finish. As a water-based styling agent, you can use it to style your hair any way you want. Whether you want a classic, modern, slick or formal hairdo, the best Gatsby pomade can help you achieve it.
On the other hand, Gatsby wax products require low maintenance and are easy to use. For only a small amount, you can achieve your desired sculpted look great for any season.
In this post, we review the top 5 Gatsby Pomade and Gatsby Wax products for Asian men’s hairstyle. And here, this our Top 5 Best Gatsby Hair Wax and Pomade
- Gatsby Dressing Pomade Ultimate Lock
- Gatsby Dressing Pomade Upper Hold
- Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax
- Moving Rubber Air Rise Hair Wax
- Moving Rubber Grunge Mat Hair Wax
Soft with a gel-like texture that blends well between the fingers. It’s easy to scoop and provides a tight finish.
Has a firm and tight look with a stronghold. Binds hair strands together – 8/10
Easy to restyle with a wet comb and a little effort. This is because it has a stronghold. Restyling not required after application – 3/10
Results in great volume when hair gets styled with a hairdryer – 8/10
Can last throughout almost the entire day but starts to lose hold towards the evening – 8/10
Medium Shine – 6/10
As a water-based pomade, it’s easy to wash off at the end of the day. Just rinse with water- 8/10.
How to Style with Gatsby Dressing Pomade Ultimate Lock
- Take an appropriate amount and blend with the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together.
- Spread the product in your hair evenly. Make sure to push backwards
- Comb your hair in any desired direction – back and upwards. For a long-lasting effect and tight finish, adjust neatly.
Hairstyles for Men with Gatsby Dressing Pomade Ultimate Lock
- Side parting, Pompadour and Slickback
- Suitable for men with short hair but users will not achieve a tight look and stronghold.
Gatsby Dressing Pomade Ultimate Lock Ingredients Used
Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Amp-Acrylates, Ceteareth-40, Copolymer, Peg-50 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PPG-10 Sorbitol, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.
Where to Buy Dressing Pomade Ultimate Lock
Easy to scoop and has a gel-like structure
Has a slightly weaker hold compared to the best pomade product – 6/10
Easy to restyle. Use fingers or comb. – 10/10
Provides the best volume when styled with a hairdryer – 8/10
Lasts for the first part of the day but didn’t last long after lunchtime – 5/10
As a water-based pomade, it’s easy to wash off. Just rinse off with water – 10/10
How to Style with Gatsby Dressing Pomade Upper Hold
- Scoop an appropriate amount with your fingertips and blend well with the palm of your hand.
- Spread the pomade throughout your hair. Don’t forget to scrunch your hair before applying
- Comb your hair back and upwards as desired. For more volume and lasting hold, adjust neatly.
Hairstyles for Men with Gatsby Dressing Pomade Upper Hold
Slickback or Pompadour. To preserve upper hold, stay indoors most of the day
- Also suitable for men with short hair. But men with short hair will not experience similar benefits
Gatsby Dressing Pomade Upper Hold Ingredients Used
Water, Ceteth-40, Diglycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Ceteth-20, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Disodium Edta, peg-40 Hydrogenated castor oil Orange 4, Hydrolyzed soy protein
Where to Buy Dressing Pomade Upper Hold
Among all of the Moving Rubber Line, this is the strongest holding product. Designed for short hair to give you spiky and mohawk look.
Has a wet, sticky and waxy texture. Dries up after application in your hair.
Has the strongest hold among all Gatsby products – 8/10
Hardens the hair and provides a great hold with stickiness. It also binds the hair strands which makes it pretty hard to restyle from the ground up. Easy to restyle the tips of your hair – 4/10
As the hardest wax of the Gatsby Wax products, its excellent holding power keeps your hair spiked. You can move all day with effortless style.
Lasts for the better part of the day. For long-lasting hold, restyle towards the end of the day – 7/10
Apply 1 to 2 rounds of conditioner and shampoo for effective results – 5/10
How to Style with Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax
- Scoop an appropriate amount with your fingertips. Blend the hair wax between your fingers before applying
- Spread the pomade throughout your hair. Don’t forget to scrunch your hair before applying the hair wax.
- Comb your hair to achieve the desired hairstyle. Remember, Upper Hold provides more volume and a lasting look
- To achieve a Mohawk look, apply the pomade towards the ends of your hair. Using your fingers, pinch your hair upwards in a sweeping motion. For a better look, interlace your fingers. Doing so leaves your hair strands in a straight line from the nape of the neck to the forehead.
Hairstyles for Men with Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax
- Great for short hairstyles for men
- Can reshape your hair like a high Mohawk thanks to its moveable texture
Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax Ingredients Used
Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceteth-20, Mineral Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera Wax, paraffin, Microcrystalline Wax, Sorbitan Stearate, Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Dimethicone, Carbomer, Fragrance, Panthenol, Peg-90M
Where to Buy Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax
This product is designed to create airy styles easily. Just apply a small amount of product and work your hair lightly to create a natural looking hairstyle. Avoid using too much wax or your hair may get weighed down.
Has a wet and waxy texture. Dries up a little after application. It’s sticky in your fingers when styling
Provides a light hold that gives you a natural and airy look. It also offers sufficient holding power – 6/10
Easy to restyle creating a natural-looking hairstyle – 8/10
Offers great volume for medium short and long hair – 8/10
Lasts for the most part of the day – 7/10
Easy to wash off. For better results, apply 1 to 2 rounds of conditioner and shampoo
How to Style with Gatsby Moving Rubber Air Rise Hair Wax
- Scoop the hair wax with your fingertips and blend with the palm of your hand. Apply the pomade to your hair tips and work it into your hair moving from the roots.
- To create volume, tease your hair at the top
- Twist and pinch the hair tips on and around the nape of the neck. This will create small bunches. Remember, do not over apply the hair wax. Doing so weighs down your hair. Also, it dampens the volume.
Hairstyles for Men with Gatsby Moving Rubber Air Rise Hair Wax
- Great for men with medium long and long hair
- Provides an airy look
Gatsby Moving Rubber Air Rise Hair Wax Ingredients Used
Water, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Sorbitan Stearate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) wax, Ceteth-20, Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Stearyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Triethanolamine, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Carbomer, Panthenol, Yellow 10 (CI 47005), Blue 1 (CI 42090)
Where to Buy Gatsby Moving Rubber Air Rise Hair Wax
Grunge Mat enables you to create a matte, yet a messy-looking style that keeps all day long. It’s non-sticky, easy to apply and flexible for your desired look. We find it suitable for very short to medium length hair.
Has a wet and waxy texture with some stickiness. Dries after applying in your hair
There’s some good hold to it but it’s more for providing a defined messy look rather than your typical pompodour or slickback – 6/10
Easy to restyle but begin with a small amount of hair wax. Add hair wax in stages – 7/10
Provides volume for a natural look. Also, it provides control and support helping you create lightweight hairstyle – 7/10
Lasts for most of the day. Adjustments needed towards the evening – 6/10
Apply 1 to 2 rounds of conditioner and shampoo – 5/10
How to Style with Gatsby Moving Rubber Grunge Matte Hair Wax
- Take an appropriate amount with your fingertips (about half size of a fingertip) and break it down on your palms
- Apply the wax to the back of your head as if you are clenching your fist. Take the same amount of wax again and apply it to the sides and top of your head. Then, with a bit more apply on your fringe
- Scrunch your hair while moving your hards forward to create a natural flow
- Scrunch your hair on the top and back of your head for a fluffy finish. Tease and twist hair ends behind the ears into bunches to create wings
- Tidy up fringe by adjusting it to the shape of your head. Pull down the hair on both sides of your face. Press down the hair at your nape and tidy up overall to create a nicely shape hairstyles
Hairstyles for Men with Gatsby Moving Rubber Grunge Matte Hair Wax
- Messy Look
- Best for men with short to medium long hair
Gatsby Moving Rubber Grunge Matte Hair Wax Ingredients Used
Where to Buy Gatsby Moving Rubber Grunge Matte Hair Wax
Final Verdict of Gatsby Wax and Hair Pomade
Credits to Gatsby for trying to up their game and to stay relevant. Among all the products, the above 5 of them are worth to try it out.
Hair wax and pomade are important parts of a man’s daily routine. With Gatsby pomade and Gatsby wax, you can transform your hair into any style. Whether it’s a high Mohawk or slick back, hair wax and pomade can turn you into a stylish man.
Before deciding which gatsby hair wax to use or what hair products to get, it is important consider the ingredients used. Hence, do check the label first. If you’ve identified the presence of paraben in the product, avoid it at all costs. Paraben is a widely used preservative in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry. The reason why its harmful is because it disrupts hormone function. This is linked to increased reproductive toxicity and breast cancer. Other factors to consider include styling options, texture, fragrance, hair length, and lasting effect.
Best of luck!