When you finally begin growing facial hair, there are so many different ways you can go with it. You can grow a long, full beard, trim it down to an adventurous goatee, or go for a professional french style beard. You can crop the beard shot to give yourself a boxed beard, or shave the hair off your cheekbones for a Balbo beard that brings out your jaw. Or, you could even go for the clean-shaven look! But if you do not have the right tools at your disposal (such as safety razors, electric shaver, shaving cream..etc) , these experiments can go terribly wrong. And that is why I am writing this guide today. This post will discuss everything there is to know about the best safety razor blades for beginner.
- 1 TLDR: Summary of Best safety razor blades for beginner
- 2 What Are The Best Safety Razor Blades For Beginner?
- 2.1 1. The Feather Double Edge Blades
- 2.2 2. The Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
- 2.3 3. The Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
- 2.4 4. The Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
- 2.5 5. The Merkur Razor Double Edge Razor Blades, MK-911
- 2.6 6. The Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blades
- 2.7 7. The Shark Super Stainless Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
- 2.8 8. The 50 Stainless Steel Double Edge Safety Razor Blades from Kai Cutlery
- 2.9 9. The Personna DE Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count
- 2.10 Blade Sample Pack (Double Edge) (2x each)
- 3 How To Shave With A Safety Razor?
- 4 Can You Shave Every Day With A Safety Razor?
- 5 Do You Get A Better Shave With A Safety Razor?
- 6 Conclusion
TLDR: Summary of Best safety razor blades for beginner
Even after knowing the details of the best available safety razor blades, choosing the best one can be pretty confusing – and especially so if it is your first time shaving with a safety razor. Sometimes, you will wish that there was a single chart that could condense all of this overwhelming information, and you could pick the best one with only a glance at it.
Well, this is what I hope will happen when you look at this summary table!
|Safety Razor Blade Model||Rating||Manufacturing Material||No. of blades in the pack|
|1. The Feather Double Edge Blades||4.6/5||Platinum coated, Hi-Stainless steel||50 blades(yellow: 10 packs of 5 bladesBlack: 5 packs of 10 blades)|
|2. The Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades||4.5/5||Stainless steel deposited with chromium – ceramic, tungsten, and platinum||100 blades (20 packs of 5 blades each)|
|3. The Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades||4.5/5||High quality steel coated with platinum||100 blades (20 packs of 5 blades each)|
|4. The Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless Double Edge Safety Razor Blades||4.7/5||Stainless steel||100 blades (20 packs of 5 blades each)|
|5. The Merkur Razor Double Edge Razor Blades, MK-911||4.5/5||Platinum coated stainless steel||10 blades (single pack)|
|6. The Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blades||4.5/5||Chromium, ceramic, and PTFE coated steel blades||10 blades (2 packs of 5 blades each)|
|7. The Shark Super Stainless Double Edge Safety Razor Blades||4.5/5||Stainless steel||100 blades (20 packs of 5 blades each)|
|8. The Stainless Steel Double Edge Safety Razor Blades from Kai Cutlery||4.3/5||Surgical grade stainless steel||50 blades (10 packs of 5 blades each)|
|9. The Personna Double Edge Razor Blades||4.4/5||High quality imported chrome steel||100 blades (single pack)|
|10. The Double Edge Razor Blade Sample Pack (2x each)||4.7/5||Varies with each brand||30 blades (2 blades from 15 brands)|
What Are The Best Safety Razor Blades For Beginner?
Now that we have talked about using a safety razor and the reasons you should go for one, it is time to discuss what razor blades to choose.
There are tons of these available to be bought online, and each one has its unique features. In the paragraphs below, I will mention 10 of my favorite ones that you can easily get from amazon. Under each mention, I will also talk about the individual characteristics of that safety razor blade, and talk about what I like and dislike. Let’s begin.
These Japanese made Feather razor blades can be used with any butterfly opening safety razor from around the world. No matter what brand it is and how old the design, these are made to fit most double-edged razors.
These Feather razor blades are made with high-quality stainless steel, but the edges are further coated with platinum. This makes these safety razor blades increasingly long-lasting. The blades will retain their sharpness and smoothness for an average of 2 to 5 shaves.
Spend less time shaving
A further advantage of these platinum coated blades is the superior and smoother shave that you can get. Because the shave is so close, you do not have to shave every day and ultimately spend less time shaving.
- Over 80 years of outstanding quality
- Available in different packs; either 10 packs of 5 blades each or 5 packs of 10 blades each
- Platinum coated cutting edge
- At only 0.1 mm, some consumers find the blade a little too thin for their preferences
USD 20.99 (50 counts)
Splitting double edge razor blades to fit in your safety razor can be quite dangerous for the untrained hands. My grandpa is always telling me how he would always give himself some cut until he learned the true technique. But with the Derby razor blades, you do not have to worry about this at all!
Each blade of this 100 pack comes individually wrapped in wax paper, and does not need to be split.
The Derby razor blades will fit any safety razor you have. And so, you can order them online without worrying that they might go to waste.
The Derby razor blades are coated with chromium, ceramic, platinum, and tungsten to guarantee a closer and better shave. An additional polymer is also deposited on the edges to reduce any sensitivity issues you may have.
- 45 years of experience in razor blade production
- The only razor blade producer brand in Turkey
- Guarantees a smooth, close shave with fairly priced products
- The pack does not have a used blade slot for easy disposal
USD 8.99 (100 count)
These safety razor blades are made with the highest quality stainless steel. The thickness allows the blade not to snap easily and minimizes any chance of accidents from happening.
The shave that you will get out of these Astra blades will be so close that you will not feel the need to shave again for at least a couple of days. This makes you feel smooth for longer, and also helps your skin heal before the next shave.
Gentle on sensitive skin
The Astra safety razor blades are specially manufactured to be ultra-gentle on sensitive skin. They glide much more smoothly against the grain than most other blades out there and are much less aggressive.
- Great value for money
- Safety perforated opening in the box enable you to remove one blade at a time without cutting yourself
- Reduces inflammation that occurs as a result of wet shaving
- Astra safety razor blades are comparatively thicker than their competition and may tug at the skin more
USD 9.99 (100 count)
Unmatched Russian quality
These Gillette 7 O’Clock razor blades have the Russian finesse that cannot be matched by any other brand out there. From the incredible design to the high-quality stainless steel – the manufacturers did not compromise in any area when making these.
Smooth and sharp
The 7 O’Clock safety razor blades are a customer favorite all around the world because of their smoothness and sharpness. Known for providing close, clean shaves, you really cannot go wrong with these.
An exceptional value
Not only are these blades great in quality, but they are available at an incredible price too. On purchasing this, you get 20 tucks of 5 blades each – exceptional value for sure!
- Excellent in all brands of double edge safety razors
- Has a large base of loyal customers ready to vouch for these
- Consistent, predictable high performance for every shave
- Hard to distinguish the superior Russian made blades from lower efficiency ones that are made in India
USD 12.96 (100 count)
The stainless steel Merkur Double Edge Razor Blades are coated with platinum. This does guarantee not only a better shave and a cutting edge but also improves the life of the blade itself.
No multi-blade skin irritation
If you are sick of using multiple blades only to break out or end up with inflamed skin, switch to these Merkur blades. With exceptional quality, these only use one blade to give you a smoother, closer shave.
Each of the 10 blades in the packet is individually wrapped in wax paper to ensure safety. Be assured that you will not accidentally cut yourself as you take out the blade to load it in your safety razor.
- Great attention to detail
- Each blade lasts at least five shaves
- Stand great against coarse and wiry facial hair
- Way more expensive than some of the competition
Triple coated blade
Being coated thrice with protective agents, the Wilkinson blades are among the very best ones out there. The chromium coating resists corrosion, ceramic adds durability, and finally, the PTFE reduces any irritation chances.
Because these are not like any other regular stainless steel blades, they will last longer than most of the competition. The superior cutting edge of these blades remains sharp for longer, taking you through more shaves.
Fits across the board
You can use the Wilkinson blades in any double edge razor that you own. There is no need to ensure that your razor and blades are compatible because that much is already guaranteed using Wilkinson.
- Package includes a section for safe disposal of used blades
- Easy to load in any double edge safety razor
- 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed
- Available only as 2 packs of 5 blades each
Fits all brands
No matter what brand you prefer, if you have a standard double edge safety razor, these blades are a perfect fit. Alternatively, these can also be split down the middle and used in a single edge razor – but that’s something that I wouldn’t personally recommend.
The quality of the shave you get from these blades is so good that it is used in professional settings and homes alike. You will find tons of barbers singing praises of these blades, and only using them in their salons.
Easy to maintain
After you have shaved, all you need to clean the blades is to rinse them with water. No need to wipe it clean, as that may take off the protective coatings on the blade.
- Manufactured in an ISO2000 facility, these blades are world-renowned for their high quality
- Can be broken in half to be used in single edge safety razors
- Each blade is individually wrapped in a heavy grade paper and then stored in a box
- If left wet, the mineral coating can soon dissolve and make the blade dull
USD 4.99 (10 counts)
The Kai blades are manufactured with only surgical grade stainless steel. This shows you how serious the brand is about hygiene and keeping up standards!
Dull blades will often tug at your skin and cause razor bumps. This is something that you do not have to worry about with Kai razor blades. Produced by Japan’s premiere cutlery brands, these sharp blades will slice through the coarsest of hair like a hot knife through butter.
Great value for money
By getting this package, you ensure that you will not have to purchase razor blades again for an entire year. The 50 blades in this deal are a great value for your money.
- Excellent for those that want a coating free stainless steel blade
- Buying this package means a year off of worrying about restocking
- Minimizes risk of razor burn
- Does not have a lot of flex
USD 21.99 (50 counts)
When you are safety razors, why not go for the OG brand? Personna holds the title for being the 1st ever brand to bring forward safety razors in the US and is well known for producing the best shaving tools!
Made with chrome steel
The Personna DE Razor Blades are crafted with the highest quality chrome steel. This distinguishes them from every other brand out there and is a promise of a better shave.
A self-care practice
By using the very best shaving tools, you turn to shave into a self-care practice. Benefit from the traditional feel of a Personna razor blade to show yourself some genuine love.
- Economical and convenient pack of 100 razor blades
- Gives you the classic shave and a professional look
- Come in environment-friendly, plastic-free packaging
- These blades are not Teflon coated
USD 17.79 (100 counts)
The top brands
This sampler packet features 15 of the best safety razor blade brands out there. From Gilette and Feather to Astra and Wilkinson – you get to experience it all!
Great for testing out
The sampling kit is best if you try to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. It exposes you to the 15 top safety razor blades, and let’s make an experience-based decision for yourself.
Get what is shown
With this sampling kit, you get exactly what you are shown in the pictures. There is no mix and match that you are buying here. With the detailed description, you know exactly what brands you are paying for.
- Great for the pocket
- Nothing goes to waste
- The best option for beginner
- Each of these blades has a learning curve of their own
How To Shave With A Safety Razor?
First things first, how to use a safety razor? When you hold it in your hands the very first time, a safety razor can look quite intimidating. However, as you learn the right technique and get a bit of practice, you will notice using these traditional shavers is not quite as hard as you first thought.
To make the process even more comfortable, I will now list all the steps to it.
- Soften your hair by using warm water on it
- Use a bit of shaving cream to build a nice, thick lather on the area you wish to shave
- With the blade placed at a 35-degree angle to the skin, apply very light pressure and shave with the grain
- Wash off the shaved area with cold water to clear the shaving cream and hair
- Pat on some aftershave to soothe the skin
If you are interest, feel free check 5 tips on the techniques on shaving here!
Can You Shave Every Day With A Safety Razor?
Many people prefer a fresh, clean look every day of the week. Stubble is their worst enemy, and they need an easy solution to managing it. So, they would want to know if you can shave everyday with a safety razor before they switch to this manly tool.
Fortunately, you can. You do not need the hair to be a certain length before you can use a safety razor on it again. As long as you have the best safety razor blades and the right technique on your side, it makes no difference how frequently you shave. You are going to end up with a picture-perfect result every single time.
Do You Get A Better Shave With A Safety Razor?
The short answer to this question: yes. This is because of several reasons. Let’s look at them one by one.
After you make the switch to safety razors, you will notice that you are replacing your shaving tools a lot less. Also, the razor blades are made of metal – which is very easily recycled. Hence, using a safety razor is not only good for your pocket but also for the environment.
The quality of shave that you get out of a safety razor is also loaded better than what you would get from any other shaving tool. If you have mastered how to shave with a safety razor, you will never want to go back to an electric shaver or a cheap, disposable razor.
Thirdly, the experience of shaving with a safety razor is beyond everything else. Merely holding the sturdy razor in my hand gives me such a different feeling. It is traditional, it is timeless, and it feels like I am creating art. Personally, I would not give up the practice for the world!
Reshaping your facial hair is a serious business. Because how you look like plays so much of a part in what people think of you, you really cannot simply wing it. If you want to impress strangers with one look at your face, you can not compromise on the quality of your shaving tools at all.
Hopefully, the above reviews would have allowed you a greater insight into all these different safety razor blades you see advertised online. By understanding your requirements and the type of your skin, you can now make an educated decision on what to use to shave off that extra hair.
For more shaving-related you can check out
- Best Shaving Creams for Sensitive Skin
- Best Shaving Razor for Sensitive Skin
- 5 tips to shave the right way
- Best Trimmer for your Balls (True story)!
Other interesting articles on men’s grooming can be found here:
- Body care: Best colognes to attract females
- Hair Styling: Best Hair Wax for Your Hairstyles or Best Hair Products to add more volume to your hair, or Best Hair Gels for Men Hairstyles
- Best Smelling Shampoo to refresh your day
p/s: Friends in Singapore, if you are interested to purchase our selected high performing hair products, visit us here @ Shopee Singapore