Disclaimer: Some of our recommended products under the Amazon Associate Program. This means we earn a small commission if you click on our “Shop Now” button link and purchase the products on Amazon. Whilst we are super appreciative if you can do so, but there’s no pressure if you do not want to. We wanted to be just being transparent on how we earn our money to sustain this portal. Greatly Appreciated!! #CommissionEarned
What’s the difference between Electric Shaver vs Manual Razor vs Safety Razor
Razors have been around for a long time; men used to use bronze blades of obsidian tools to shave off unwanted hairs. Today, thankfully, there are a lot of options to choose from –just look at the department stores and even online. Notable brands include Braun, Phillips, and Merkur. However, do you know what works best for you? What’s the difference between electric shaver vs manual razor vs safety razors? How often should you get a new one? Why do some cost more than others?
Here, we break down the pros and cons of each style so you can make the right purchase for your lifestyle.
PROS of Electric Razor:
- You don’t have to go over the same area as much. Electric razors tend to shave hair away faster than manual razors. Because they roll up the skin, forcing hairs up before cutting them, men don’t need to go over the same area as many times.
- They are more portable . Although they can be heavier than manual razors, they are often more portable and convenient, as long as you have a power source nearby.
- Plug and go. Electric razors do not really need specific grooming items such as shaving cream, soap, gels or even water.
- Versatility. Electric razors can accurately shave facial hair, beards, mustaches, and sideburns.
- Lower chance of injury. Shaving with an electric razor could reduce nicks, cuts and ingrown hairs.
- Convenience and Speed. Jet-friendly as you can take with you a plane and doesn’t take much time to get your grooming done
CONS of Electric Razor:
- Electric razors do not shave as closely as manual razors. The finish may not be super-smooth, and you may have to end up shaving more frequently if you are more hirsute.
- Not all electric razors can be used in wet conditions. While the newer models allow them to be used in the shower, the majority of such razors are not suitable for use in wet conditions.
- They need to be charged. Otherwise, yours can die in the middle of a shave. Not a situation you want to have.
- Require more vigorous maintenance and cleaning. They usually cost more to maintain than other forms of shaving tools. However, a well-built and properly cared for electric razor can help men save money in the long run.
PROS of Manual Razor:
- Provides a close shave. Manual razors provide a closer shave than electric razors, but may not be as close as a safety razor.
- Easy to use and replace. Manual razors are simple to use, and the blades and equipment and can be replaced easily.
- Easy to maintain. Manual razors are super easy to clean. They make a great travel companion too, since it isn’t bulky.
CONS of Manual Razor:
- Require application of grooming products. Manual razors require the use of grooming products like shaving creams, which means it’ll take a longer time for you to get your shave in the morning.
- Cartridges need to be replaced frequently. Depending on the thickness of your beard, the blades of manual razors dull quickly and need to be replaced every 4-5 shaves.
- Less versatile. Manual razors are sometimes less versatile, since they do require a wet shave and water for a painless shave.
PROS of Safety Razor:
- Cheapest shaving method over time. Although finding a reliable handle can be difficult or pricey, the blades themselves are very affordable. In fact, the cost per usage over time is the lowest among all of them
- The blades stay sharp for longer. These razors stay extremely sharp for optimal shaving for longer periods of time.
- Great for men who are prone to ingrown hairs. The single blade does not cut as closely to the skin.
- Closest Shave. With the fine sharp blades, you will get the closest shave.
CONS of Safety Razor:
- Takes some getting used to. Many men find shaving with the single blade of the Double Edge (DE) razors takes some getting used to.
- Shaving handles tend to be expensive. Although some men’s grooming companies are releasing new styles, they are still not very widely available yet.
- Not so suitable for sensitive skin. There’s a higher chance of you getting nicks/cuts/razor burn if not used properly. May not be suitable for certain sensitive skin.
- Not so jet-friendly. You may not be allowed to carry it up the plane.
Which type of razor is better?
If you prefer a quick and convenient shave, get an electric razor as it is easy to use and jet-friendly. If you prefer a close shave but have very sensitive skin, you may select a cartridge razor. Otherwise, a safety razor will do the cleanest shave for you. For cartridge or safety razors, it makes your shaving smoother with some of our curated quality shaving cream
Please let us know what brand of shavers you want us to review on by leaving your feedback below.
Get exclusive useful guides and deals
Subscribe to our newsletter
UO Select Store
Carefully reviewed and curated men’s grooming brands for your personal care routine